Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

There is a song "Be Thou My Vision". It is a beautiful ancient Celtic Hymn. The song is beautiful both in music and in word. This is the history of this song.

The tune name is called 'Slane,' after the Hill of Slane in County Meath, Ireland. When Patrick first came to Ireland to spread Christianity, he was forbidden by pagan royal decree from lighting any fires at the Spring Equinox. Patrick defied the Royal Edict, and lit the first Paschal Fire in Ireland from atop the Hill of Slane. It's so tall (about 500 feet, or 160 metres) that the fire couldn't be missed. The pagan king at Tara was so impressed with Patrick's devotion that he gave him leave to begin proselyting. The rest, as they say, is history.(not my wording I swiped from a forum because I liked the way it was written)

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'ns Son!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

No comments: