Saturday, August 17, 2013

Dreaming


Sometimes dreaming can be exhausting. I get frustrated. I feel like every door is locked tight and every road is a dead end.
Recently it seemed like everything I tried to do failed. One door after another slammed shut on me and I found myself wondering if I was even pursuing the right dream. I was ready to throw in the towel, but then I heard a gentle whisper…
Quit chasing after the dream. Chase after Me.
Yes, I have been guilty of pursuing the dream instead of the Dream Giver. I have been guilty of following my heart instead of searching for His.
The Lord longs to be gracious to you…
How blessed are all those who long for Him…
He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry…
He will answer you…
Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it.”
(from Isaiah 30)
It’s not that God doesn’t want us to pursue our dreams; He does! After all, He is the one who put the dream in our hearts. He wants to dream with us, to be the one whispering in our ear and holding our hand as we walk the path He’s set before us.
In the Disney movie Tangled Rapunzel spent her whole life dreaming of leaving her tower and traveling to the city to see the floating lanterns. Eugene made that dream come true for her. But after her dream was fulfilled there was still something more she longed for. When Eugene quietly whispers to her “you were my new dream” she responds “and you were mine”. It was that moment when she realized what her heart truly longed for. It wasn’t the fulfillment of the dream, but someone to share the journey with.
Yes, I’m a dreamer. But He is my dream. Knowing Him, loving Him, serving Him, following Him; that is the dream I must pursue. And as I draw closer to Him, as my heart longs for more of Him, I hear Him quietly whisper in my ear, “turn here”, “call her”, “ask him”, “knock on this door”. And step by step, hand in hand, He leads me closer to my heart’s desire.
There are times on our journey we need to stop and make sure we’re chasing the Dream Giver and not the dream. Is He all that your heart longs for? Are you close enough to hear Him whispering direction in your ear? Are you captivated by Him? Turn your eyes to the Dream Giver, delight in Him. Then He will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)

No comments: