Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Two daughters

I am sitting here reading emails on my computer while the girls are sharing Jody's computer. I am just listening to them getting a long and working together on their project on Webkinz. They are being so sweet while talking to each other and taking turns with each other. They are asking each other their opinion about what they should do, etc... This is not totally unusual for them, but it just caught me in a sad/happy moment. Maybe because of Thanksgiving being a few days away and I am looking at things with a thankful heart.

I am sad because they are growing up so quickly. They have gone from being just sisters to now being friends. When they are away from each other for a significant amount of time they call each other to see how things are going. When they get back together after time away from each other, they share with each other what they did, what people said, but most importantly what they were wearing!!

I am also sad because they no longer need me to be the referee to work out battles or arguments. If they have a problem, most of the time, they are able to settle it on their own. They have learned how to get along and what to do if the other is bothering them (without having to yell for me).

I am sad because "play" no longer means having me around to do things with them. They are happy if I am around to play with them, but they are just as fine if I am not. They like to play Wii together, dance, play with dolls, fix doll's hair, ride bikes, take a walk, read a magazine, look at catalogs, pretend shopping, pretend to be in COLLEGE and live away from home, etc... and they can do this without me.

They are working with preschool children at church. I have watched them interact with the children and I am so proud and yet sad!! I am proud because they do an awesome job talking with the children, finding out what the child needs if he/she is upset, playing with the children, making up games and songs (some I had done with them when they were younger), and caring for the children. They both have such a caring heart. But it makes me sad because in my eyes I see them 2 and 4 years old and they are suppose to be the ones being cared for by others and still in the preschool department. Not the "big kids" who help with the children!!

They are dancing a tap dance duet Friday at the Fantasy of Trees. I have watched them learn this dance, I have watched them practice for many weeks, and I am so excited to watch the dance at the Fantasy of Trees. While practicing, they love to dance together and they show it in their expressions. I hope this shows in the Fantasy of Trees, but nervous feelings may take over!! And I love to hear them correct each other while practicing - no one can tell you like it is like a sister can!!

I am happy because I have 2 daughters whom I love very much who are becoming closer friends each day!! I am happy because I get to experience this growing relationship with them and help it grow by providing opportunities for them to do many things together. Thank you God for giving me 2 daughters!!

No comments: