Wednesday, June 17, 2009

His Eye Is on the Sparrow


His Eye Is on the Sparrow
Civilla D. Martin
Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely And long for heaven and home
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me.
Whenever I am tempted, Whenever clouds arise,
When song gives place to sighing, When hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him; From care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me.


Civillia D. Martin was born in Nova Scotia on August 21, 1869. She grew up and married a traveling evangelist and quit her jobs as a school and music teacher to follow him. She met a couple in New York who lived with very hard circumstances but always had such a bright and hopefully outlook on life. When asked about this the wife replied, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." Those simple, faith-filled words inspired this great hymn.
*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

No comments: