Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Put others first!

" Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." Romans 12:9-10 (NIV)
"Don't just pretend that you love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. stand on the side of good. Love each other with genuine affection and take delight in honoring each other" Romans 12:9-10 (NLT)

How do you honor others? One way people honor others involves ulterior motives. We honor our bosses so they will reward us, our employees so they will work harder, the wealthy so they will contribute to the cause, the powerful so they will use their power for us and not against us.
God's way involves love. As a Christian, I want to honor people because they have been created in God's image, because they are my brothers and sisters in Christ, and because they have a unique contribution to make. I do not always think like this, but I want to. I want to put away my competitive nature and honor others the way God wants me to. It is really simple: Put others first!

"Father, would you run a check on my attitude toward serving others? Help me to take delight in serving even when I feel like I am doing all the work. Grow my love for others as I press on to meet the needs you have created me to meet. Amen."

No comments: