Wednesday, September 2, 2009

When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder

When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder
James M. Black
When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound,and time shall be no more,
And the morning breaks eternal bright and fair,
When the saints on earth shall gather over on the other shore,
And the roll is called up yonder I'll be there.
On that bright and cloudless morning
when the dead in Christ shall rise,
And the glory of His resurrection share;
When the chosen ones shall gather to their home beyond the skies,
And the roll is called up yonder I'll be there.
Let us labor for the Master from the dawn 'til
setting sun,
Let us talk of all His wondrous love and care;
And when all of life is overand our work on earth is done,
And the roll is called up yonder I'll be there.

This old hymn was written in 1893 by James M. Black. One day while calling roll for his youth meeting, one name did not answer. It was the daughter of an alcoholic. He said to himself, "O God, when my own name is called up yonder, may I be there to respond!" That night he sat at his piano and wrote this hymn.
*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

No comments: