Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Safe in the Arms of Jesus


Safe in the Arms of Jesus
Fanny J. Crosby

Safe in arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast,
There by His love o'ershadowed, sweetly my soul shall rest.
Hark! 'tis the voice of angels, borne in a song to me.
Over the fields of glory, over the jasper sea.

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe from corroding care,
Safe from the world's temptations, sin cannot harm me there.
Free from the blight of sorrow, free from my doubts and fears;
Only a few more trials, only a few more tears!

Jesus, my heart's dear Refuge, Jesus has died for me;
Firm on the Rock of Ages, ever my trust shall be.
Here let me wait with patience, wait till the night is o'er;
Wait till I see the morning break on the golden shore.

Fanny Crosby was born blind and on March 5, 1858 she wed Alexander Van Alsteine. A year later she gave birth to a child. No one knows if it was a boy or girl and the only thing she was ever heard saying about it was, "God gave us a tender babe, soon the angels came down and took our infant up to God and His throne." No one could get her to talk about this tragedy. She claimed that "Safe in the Arms of Jesus" was written especially for mothers who had lost children.
*History of hymn was taken from "Then Sings my Soul" by Robert J. Morgan.

No comments: